Malaysia is always on the list of students looking for abroad studies. With its lower cost of living, simple immigration process, multi-culture environment and globally renowned education system, it is a good choice to pursue higher education. Here is the guide for you to study in the Study in Malaysia.
Why Study in Malaysia?
Malaysia is among the preferred global countries for studying overseas, It has an international population of around 150 countries. Some of the reasons for choosing Malaysia as their study abroad destination are compiled below.
- Higher Quality of Education
As per the QS World Universities Ranking 2021, thirty-five Malaysian universities rank among the top universities in the world. It is because they provide a Top-class education.
- Presence of international Universities
International students can obtain a UK, US or Australian degree in Malaysia as there are many branches of foreign universities in the country.
- Education is Affordable
The cost of studying in Malaysia is low compared to many other popular studies abroad countries. It also offers a range of scholarships to study in the country.
- Employment Opportunities
Malaysia provides lots of post-study work opportunities for international students. The country looks for skilled workers, the industries require good graduates always. With a high rate of employment, the country stands as a promising land for all applicants.
- Multicultural Environment
The global community of Malaysia allows cultural, religious and social acceptance. Students get an opportunity to get to know various people from different religions and cultures.
How to study in Malaysia
The reasons to study in Malaysia are attractive, isn’t it? Have you started thinking of going to Malaysia for your further studies? Here is the simple process you need to follow:
- As a first step, the candidates need to choose the course of study they wish to pursue and decide upon the institution where they wish to receive an education.
- The students should directly apply online to the selected university. Based on your profile and academic background, the university/college decides whether to accept your application or not. If you are accepted, you will be issued an offer letter.
- After receiving the acceptance from the institution, you should apply for your student visa to travel to Malaysia for studying.
- Complete the whole student visa process and get approval of it.
- Once you get approval for your student visa, plan for your departure. Look for accommodation, and explore more about Malaysia. Book your tickets and fly.
Top-ranking universities in Malaysia
There are surely several factors to look after while choosing the university that suits you, such as the quality, the location, the courses, the fees, etc. To make your work easy, here we have created a table of top-ranking universities in Malaysia and their rankings in the world:
QS World University Ranking 2021
University of Malaysia
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP)
Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM)
Management and Science University
Top private universities in Malaysia
With plenty of private universities in the country, it is quite challenging to choose the best place for pursuing your higher education. Here we have compiled a list of top private universities located in Malaysia:
- Monash University
- University of Nottingham Malaysia
- Heriot-Watt University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Taylor’s University
- Sunway University
- Asia Pacific University (APU)
- INTI International University
- SEGi University
- HELP University
The best course to study in Malaysia for international students
For international students planning to pursue higher education in Malaysia, there is a large choice of programs and courses. Undergraduate and postgraduate programmes are offered in various study disciplines. You can choose the following courses to study abroad in Malaysia:
- Study Law in Malaysia
- Study Finance in Malaysia
- Study Medicine in Malaysia
- Study Business Administration
- Study Psychology in Malaysia
- Study Architecture in Malaysia
- Study Dentistry in Malaysia
- Study Business Administration in Malaysia
- Study Pharmacy in Malaysia
- Study Psychology in Malaysia
Studying in Malaysia requirements
You can apply online for any university of your choice in Malaysia. So, once you finalise the university you can go through their application requirements. Here are some of the basic documents you will require:
- A scanned copy of your all academic documents
- A valid passport
- Your birth certificate
- National ID
- Your C.V or Resume
- Language test scores (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE)
- International standardised test scores (SAT, ACT, GMAT, GRE)
- Statement of purpose
- 2 or 3 Letters of recommendation
- Portfolio of your previous work (if any)
Studying in Malaysia without IELTS
There are few universities in Malaysia that offer an education without IELTS. They are listed below:
- Asia Pacific University
- City University Malaysia
- Manipal International University
- Swinburne University Malaysia campus
- Curtin University Malaysia campus
- Inti University
- Segi University Kota Damansara
- Help University
Studying in Malaysia cost
One of the main reasons why overseas students prefer Malaysia for their higher education is its relatively affordable cost of tuition fees and living. The tuition fees will vary based on the institution and the programme you choose to study.
Tuition fees at public universities in Malaysia
- Undergraduate degrees: 2,000–4,500 EUR per year
- Postgraduate degrees: 500–4,000 EUR per year
Tuition fees at private universities in Malaysia
- Bachelor’s degrees: 1,350–9,300 EUR per year
- Master’s degrees: 1,500–3,000 EUR per year
Cost of living
Other than tuition fees, living costs are also affordable in Malaysia for international students. Here we have calculated the average figures for the following costs:
- Accommodation costs can be from RM 600 to RM 900 per month,
- 3 meals per day can cost you from RM 20 to RM 30,
- Transportation costs can be from RM 80 to RM 150,
- Other personal expenses can be around RM 100 to RM 200.
Study in Malaysia scholarship
There are numerous scholarship schemes provided by Malaysia to foreign students. With the help of scholarships, you can reach your goal of the study in Malaysia for free. Here we have listed a few of the scholarships to study in Malaysia for Indian students and other international students:
- Taylor’s Excellence Awards in Malaysia.
- Data Futures Scholarship Malaysia.
- MMU High Achievers Scholarships in Malaysia.
- International Postgraduate Scholarship at Perdana University.
- International Scholarships at the Asia Pacific University of Technology Malaysia.
- Help University Malaysia International Scholarships.
- Heriot-Watt University Bachelor and Master Scholarships.
- MAHSA Engineering Scholarships for International Students in Malaysia.
- Jeffrey Cheah Foundation Scholarships in Malaysia.
- Postgraduate Scholarships for International Students at the University of Technology in Malaysia.
- International Medical University Scholarships for Overseas Students in Malaysia.
Student visa for Malaysia
To enter Malaysia for your studies, you will need to apply for a Student Pass. This pass is the same as what we call a student visa. This can be applied online before your arrival. In most cases, your institution applies on your behalf. For applying for a Student Pass, you will require the following documents:
- A latest passport-size photograph.
- A copy of your passport.
- Your admission letter to the university in Malaysia.
- Copies of all your academic transcripts and certificate.
- A medical examination certificate.
- Proof of insurance.
- Proof that you have sufficient funds for tuition fees and living costs in Malaysia.
Keep in mind, your Student Pass will last for a year. You will need to renew the student pass if your study program is longer than 12 months.
COST OF STUDY IN MALAYSIA
The expenditure of studying and living in Malaysia is comparatively low to countries like Australia, the US, the UK, France, Canada, etc. as the Malaysian currency conversion is advantageous. A quick look at the comparison chart shows the expenditure involved in the different countries:
|Tuition Fees (annually)
|Total Education Cost
Regardless of the current overall monetary circumstance, Malaysia keeps on being a nation with an elevated expectation of living and additionally an extremely reasonable spot to live and study.
Illustrations of costs
- The inexpensive eatery, 2-course supper with soda: MYR7-10.
- Monthly open transport pass (Regular Price): MYR50-100
- Monthly rec center membership: MYR150
- Cinema ticket: MYR12
STUDENT VISA FOR MALAYSIA
If you are planning to study abroad in Malaysia, you will need to obtain a student visa, also known as a student pass, to get entry into the country. Unlike the USA or UK whose visa application procedure feels like a burden, entering Malaysia is pretty simple. Here is the complete information on a Student visa for Malaysia.
Here are the Highlights of the content
- Where can I apply for a student visa to Malaysia?
- How to get a student visa for Malaysia
- What are the requirements for a student visa in Malaysia?
- Malaysian Student Visa and Pass Fees
- Malaysian Student Visa processing time
- What to do if your Malaysian visa is rejected
- Can I Work in Malaysia with a Student Visa?
STUDENT VISA FOR MALAYSIA
Applying for a Malaysian student visa is simple and straightforward. Your chosen university will complete most of the procedure for you. The whole process only takes a few weeks to complete. Your student pass is valid only for 1 year and must be renewed one and a half months before its expiry date.
Where can I apply for a student visa to Malaysia?
As per the institution type, you can apply for a visa in two ways:
- You can apply for a Study Visa in Malaysia Online. Here is the link where you can submit the application directly. International students who have received offer letters from Higher Education Institutions in Malaysia can opt for this method.
- You can apply for a Study Visa in Malaysia through Institution. You need to send the required documents to the institution, they will start the process to get the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) for you
How to get a student visa for Malaysia
The Malaysian government has made the student visa application process easy. International students do not need to contact their local Embassy in Malaysia. They can take the help of the institution or apply directly. Here is the procedure for the study visa:
- Secure a seat at a university in Malaysia: Obtain a formal admissions letter from a Malaysian higher education institution and pay the enrollment fees.
- The institution will begin the process of student pass application: Your university in Malaysia will contact the Malaysian immigration authorities to submit your application on your behalf. They will ask you to recheck the details filled in and sign the official application form digitally.
- Assemble the required documents: You will need to send some documents to your university so that they can complete your application. A full list document is mentioned in the section below.
- Pay visa processing fee: You will have to pay the fee for the visa application.
- Wait for the confirmation of acceptance: The immigration authorities will normally inform the institution about the confirmation of your application within a week.
- Receive a letter of approval: A visa approval letter (VAL) will be released by the Malaysian Immigration Department and delivered to the institution Your university will forward it to you.
- Inform the university of your travel plans: Before entering Malaysia, Share the details of your arrival dates, airport location, and flight numbers with the university. A representative from the university will greet you at the Malaysian airport.
- Wait for your Student Pass sticker: Your university will send your passport to the immigration department within two weeks of your arrival. When it returns, a student pass sticker will be affixed to it.
Once students have completed all the steps, they are now officially enrolled and ready to study at the chosen Malaysian institution.
What are the requirements for a student visa in Malaysia?
The Malaysian immigration authorities will ask for some supporting documents as part of the visa application process. Therefore, it is important to send the required documents to your host institution as soon as your admission is confirmed. Here is the list of documents you will require for the whole visa process:
- Formal admissions letter from your university
- Filled Student visa application form and signed by the student
- Two passport-size photo
- Two photocopies of your Passport
- National ID
- Police clearance certificate
- Proof of sufficient financial resources
- Evidence of enrollment in the full-time study program approved by the Minister of Home Affairs
- Previous Academic transcripts and certificates
- A medical certificate from the registered doctor.
- A personal bond document. It is a letter signed by your institution to guarantee you will follow the immigration rules
- English language proficiency test certificates such as PTE, IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, CPE, MUET
Malaysian Student Visa and Pass Fees
For the processing of the visa, you need to pay some money. The expected visa fees for Malaysia are approximately 119 MYR( $29.41).
- Yearly fees for a Student Pass Malaysia are approximately MYR 73 ($ 18)
- visa fees may be anything approximately MYR 18 – 109 ($ 4.50- $ 27), depending on your country of origin.
- A personal bond fee to the university.
Malaysia Student Visa processing time
Overall, the entire process from applying for a Malaysian Student Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to receiving your Student Pass takes 4 to 6 weeks.
The processing time for Visa Approval Letter is 14 days. The Malaysian entry visa processing time is from 1 to 3 weeks
What to do if your Malaysian visa is rejected
Around 90% of Malaysian student visa applications are accepted. This makes Malaysia one of the highest approval rates countries in the World. Very few visa applications of students are rejected. The common reasons for rejection are:
| Insufficient funds
Documents in the regional language
Dissatisfying academic documents
Inconsistent program selection
Bad language or communication skills
Invalid Letter of Recommendation
If your visa application gets rejected, you can contact the immigration authorities and request a letter outlining the reasons for rejection. You can write an appeal against the decision within 30 days. But there is no assured acceptance.
Can I Work in Malaysia with a Student Visa?
Yes, you can work in Malaysia with a student visa but only during the university holidays. Malaysian International student employment rules are strict. The Malaysia student visa working hours are a maximum of 20 hours each week during academic vacation. You are not allowed to work at any point during ongoing semesters.
The type of jobs an international student can take on is also limited. Although they can find work in a restaurant, petrol garage, mini market, or hotel. You won’t be permitted to work as a cashier, musician, or any other position believed to be immoral in Malaysia.