The major requirements of a Canadian student visa can be categorized into 2 parts:
- Eligibility requirements
- Admissibility documents
Basic eligibility requirements
To be eligible for study in Canada, international students must:
- Be enrolled at a DLI (Designated Learning Institution)
- Declare financial status to prove that you have enough money to pay for:
- Tuition fees
- Living expenses for yourself
- Living expenses for your dependant family members (if any)
- Departure expenses for you and your dependants (if any)
- Prove to a Canadian immigration officer that you will leave Canada upon the expiry of your student visa.
After passing the basic eligibility requirements you must provide legal documents to prove the following admissibility documents:
Valid passport or travel document
All foreign nationals wanting to study in Canada must obtain a valid passport or a travel document like the eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) before applying.
If you are applying online then you must upload a copy of the information page on your passport.
You and your dependant family members (if any) must provide two passport-size photographs with your application.
Here are the general guidelines for photographs:
- It should be the latest digital photographs, not older than six months
- It should have your name and date on the back
- It can be either a black & white or a colour photograph
- It should be in a solid, plain white or a light-coloured background
- It should be 35 × 45 mm in size
- It should show your full face (religious head covers are allowed, provided, they do not cover your face)
If you secure admission to any of the DLIs (Designated Learning Institutions) then you will receive a letter of acceptance from the particular institute.
You must attach this letter of acceptance to your application.
Proof of funds
You must prove that you can financially support yourself and your dependent family members (if any) in Canada.
To prove your financial status you can make use of the following:
- A student loan or education loan proof from a bank
- Bank statements dating back to 6 months from the application date
- A demand draft from a bank convertible to Canadian dollars
- Tuition fees receipts
- Housing fees proof
- Letter from your sponsors lending you money
- Proof of funding from Canada, such as:
- Scholarship received for the study program
- Study program funded by the Canadian Government
- Study program funded by the Bangladeshi Government
Visa application fee receipt
You must attach the fee receipt generated after paying the applicable fees for the Canada student visa.
Language proficiency test results
A language proficiency test is compulsory for a study permit in Canada. You must attach your IELTS test results along with your application form.
The minimum IELTS score required for a Canadian visa for an undergraduate study program is 6.0 per band, which is CLB level 7. For a postgraduate study program, you require a minimum of 6.5 in each band.
You must attach a copy of your all academic degree mark sheets/transcripts and certificates.
You must prove that you don’t have a criminal record against your name and that you are a law-abiding citizen.
To prove this you must get a police certificate from your Bangladesh govt.
NOTE: you can apply at https://pcc.police.gov.bd
You must undergo a medical examination to prove that you:
- Are in good health
- Do not carry any diseases
This health test is conducted by a panel of physicians approved by the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada)
You can take this heath test in your region, territory, or country. Please note that it is the IRCC who makes the final decision and not the panel physicians.
Purpose of visit letter
You must write and include a letter to the visa officer explaining:
- The reason to choose Canada for studying or Study Of Purpose (SOP)
- That you know your responsibilities and will obey the laws
NOTE: Please note that this is a mandatory letter and you must include it in your application.
CAQ certificate (for Quebec)
The CAQ (certificat d’acceptation du Québec) is an acceptance certificate issued by the Government of Quebec.
It is given to those applicants who are applying in the Quebec Province in Canada.
Custodian declaration (for minors)
The Custodianship Declaration form is necessary if your minor child is:
- Applying for a study permit in Canada
- Requires a custodian in Canada
This form has 2 pages which must be certified by a notary:
- First page: To be signed by the custodian
- Second page: To be signed by the parents/legal guardians
Your visa application form is complete only when you have provided all the necessary documents and paid the application fees. You can then proceed to submit your application.
Please note that documentation is a complicated task. Visit the nearest visa application centre or visit us at www.activegroupintl.com and get proper guidance.
NOTE: Apart from all these documents, you might require more documents depending on your profile.