Austria is a country with a high standard of living. The country has a metropolitan, forward-thinking approach. The country has a vast and diverse student body. It is one of the perfect places for international students to pursue their higher education. Here is a guide to studying in Austria.
Education System in Austria
The university in Austria follows the Bologna Process same as the other European countries follow. The universities allow studying in Austria for international students under a curriculum that focuses on professional-orientated education by offering the following:
- Bachelor in Austria
You can obtain a bachelor’s degree in Austria after completing three or four years of university-level education. You will require at least 180 ECTS credits.
- Master degree in Austria
To get admission to a postgraduate degree in Austria, you need to complete your bachelor’s study programme. It will take at least 2 years to obtain a master’s degree. You will require at least 120 ECTS credits.
- PhD in Austria
Doctoral studies are based on the successful completion of a master’s degree. By pursuing Doctoral programmes you will gain a degree of PhD. The duration is a minimum of three years without the award of ECTS credits.
Why study in Austria
The institutions in Austria have set examples in many fields of study that have attracted international students to choose Austria as a destination for further education. Here are some top reasons to study in Austria:
- A broad spectrum of educational opportunities is available to students. This makes Austria their preferred country to gain knowledge and experience beyond academics.
- The cost of studying in Austria is relatively low. The tuition fee as well as the cost of living, are affordable.
- Although most of the courses are taught in the German language in Austria, you can also study in Austria in English. You will find more than 200 English-taught programs in Austrian universities.
- The country provides excellent cultural richness and diversity. It provides a lifetime memorable experience of studying in Austria as an international student.
- Austria has some of the world’s best universities. Eight Austrian universities were listed in the QS World University Rankings 2021.
- There are a plethora of scholarship opportunities and financial grant programs in Austria for international students.
Austria university ranking
You can get admission in any of the various higher education institutions in Austria, like public or private universities, colleges, and Universities of Applied Sciences, business schools etc. So you will have a wide range of choices. Here we will list the top 9 universities of Austria ranked in the world :
|QS world university ranking
|University of Vienna
|Vienna University of Technology
|Graz University of Technology
|Johannes Kepler University Linz
|University of Klagenfurt
|Paris Lodron University of Salzburg
Cheap universities in Austria
Studying abroad is an expensive affair than studying in the home country. If you are unable to afford expensive universities in Austria, you can take admitted in cheap universities. Here we have listed a few:
- University of Vienna
- Medical University of Vienna
- University of Innsbruck
- Medical University of Graz
- Vienna University of Technology
- Graz University of Technology
Requirements to study in Austria
As Austria has different types of universities, there are also different admission eligibility criteria and requirements. You need to check the particular university’s website for exact information. However, the common requirements to study in Austria for Bangladeshi students are:
- Photocopy of your passport
- National ID
- Duly filled out the University application form. It can be downloaded from the university’s website or will be sent by them
- A valid passport
General university entrance requirements :
- for undergraduate studies: secondary school leaving certificate or equivalent
- for postgraduate studies: bachelor or equivalent degree
- for PhD: diploma, master or equivalent degree
- Certificate, Marksheet / Transcripts of previous education.
6. German language proficiency or English language proficiency scores
7. Letter of recommendation from professors or managers
8. Statement of purpose
9. Resume or C.V
Study in Austria without IELTS
Yes, if you present an extraordinary profile of yours, there are chances to get into Austrian universities without IELTS. You can apply for one of the following to get admission without IELTS in Austria.
|• Provide some other English language proficiency certificates such as TOEFL, PTE etc.
• Your educational background also matters. It reveals how proficient you were in your English skills and this is something that can help you in getting exempted from IELTS.
Studies in Austria cost
International students will usually have to pay €726.72 per semester as a tuition fee for studying at Austrian universities. This is much more affordable compared to other European nations. The other living costs are:
|• Accommodation € 400 (including electricity bills)
• Food € 250 (excluding luxurious food items)
• Studies € 300 and personal requirements (books, project work, recreation) etc
The living cost of living can be around € 950 per month. You can also apply for scholarships for making your studies in Austria cheaper.
Study in Austria scholarship
To make your way to study in Austria for free, you need to take the help of scholarships. If you research properly, you will find plenty of scholarships open for international students. Here we have mentioned a few scholarships to study in Austria.
- Richard Plaschka Grant
- APPEAR – Austrian Partnership Programme in Higher Education and Research for Development,
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s Degrees
- University of Salzburg Scholarships in Austria
- The Next Generation Scholarship for PhD Candidates at Modul University
- University of Salzburg Research Fellowships in Austria
- OFID Scholarship Awards in Austria for Developing Countries
STUDENT VISA FOR AUSTRIA
Student Visas for Austria can be applied at the competent Austrian representative authority. You should submit your application at least 3 to 6 months before your course begins in Austria. You will require the following documents:
|• Application form
• A valid passport.
• National ID
• Police clearance certificate
• Passport-sized photos as per the ICAO criteria.
• Confirmation of enrolment in the higher education institution of Austria
• Proof of sufficient financial means finances your stay for 12 months.
• Evidence of travel health insurance for the duration of your studies in Austria.
Study and work in Austria for international students
International students are allowed to work during their studies in Australia. However, Limitations apply to employment hours with a student work permit. They can work only up to 20 hours per week on a valid student visa. There is no limit on the number of hours during vacations.
International students will have to obtain a work permit in addition to their residence permit. Usually, the prospective employer will apply for the work permit on your behalf. The student must be enrolled at a recognised university and hold the necessary visa and residence documents for this process.
UNIVERSITIES IN AUSTRIA
Here are some universities in Austria with URL addresses:
IBS International Business School Vienna
Vienna University of Economics and Business https://www.wu.ac.at/
Modul University Vienna
University of Vienna
STUDENT VISA IN AUSTRIA
Austria is one of the most preferred European countries for international students. The country has a vast and diverse student body. Every year many international students obtain a student visa for Austria to come to this modern country for their higher education. If you are planning to migrate to Austria for further studies, here we present complete information on Student Visa.
Here are the Highlights of the content
|1. Types of student visa for Austria
2. Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as an EU Citizen
3. Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as a non -EU Citizen
4. How to get a student visa for Austria
5. When should I start the application process for a residence permit?
6. Where can I apply for a visa/student residence permit?
7. What are the requirements for a visa/residence permit?
8. Financial requirements for an Austrian visa
9. Austrian Student Visa processing time
10. What to do if your Austrian visa is rejected
11. Can I Work in Austria with a Student Visa?
Types of student visa for Austria
Austria offers 2 types of student visas. They are
- Visa C —International Students who want to stay in Austria for studies for 90 days which is less than 6 months should apply for a Visa C.
- Visa D — International Students who are going to stay in Austria for studies from 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months(180 days) should apply for a Visa D.
Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as an EU Citizen
Being a member of the European Union(EU), Austria welcomes students from EU countries to come and study without any visa. Those Students who are studying for longer than 3 months will have to get themselves registered with the competent municipal authority in person.
Eu student needs only a valid travel document to enter the country such as an ID card or passport is required. No further documents are required for living in Austria for a maximum of 3 months.
Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as a non -EU Citizen
Students coming from non-EU countries should obtain a student visa to study in Austria for up to 6 months. “Residence Permit” should also be obtained if the Non-EU students want to pursue their studies in Austria for more than 6 months. Once it is approved, they must also apply for a Visa D to enter the country. They can collect their residence permit in Austria from the relevant authority.
How to get a student visa for Austria
To obtain an Austrian student visa, you must first secure admission to any of the universities in Austria. Here are steps-by step guides to obtaining a visa:
1.Accept an offer from your university: once your admission is confirmed by the Austrian university, they will issue an offer letter, and accept it. This letter of acceptance will be required for applying for a residence permit.
2.Apply for an Austrian student residence permit appointment: You will need to submit the documents for the application procedure. The document list is detailed in the latter part of this article.
3.Wait for a decision: You have to wait for the decision about your residence permit application. It might take time, so it’s worth applying well in advance of when you intend to arrive.
4.Appointment for visa application: Once your residence permit application gets the approval you can move to the next step of applying for visa D. For the application process you will need to provide the documents as asked.
5.Attend your appointment: Carry all the documents with you as requested, such as the visa application form, ID, passport, health insurance documents etc.
6.Wait for the decision: The decision about the approval of your visa application will generally be made within 4 weeks. If your application is accepted you will get your visa to travel to Austria.
When should I start the application process for a residence permit for Austria?
You should submit your Austria student residence permit application process at least 3 to 6 months before the planned arrival in Austria. You should know that you have to start assembling your documents as early as possible and start your application. As it will take time for possible required legalization and translation of your documents.
Where can I apply for a student visa or residence permit?
You can apply for the student visa and residence permit at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate-general). You should apply before travelling to Austria. You will receive your visa before travelling to Austria and a residence permit will be issued on the arrival in Austria.
What are the requirements for a visa/residence permit?
For applying for an Austrian student visa or residence permit, you will be required to fill out the application form. You have to submit it along with some of the supporting documents. Here are the Austria study visa requirements for Bangladeshi students and other international students:
|• A filled visa application form
• A filled residence permit application form
• An admission letter from an Austrian university
• Latest photographs of your face with a white background
• A passport that has validity for at least more than 6 months from the date of your departure
• Proof of enough funds to stay and study in Austria
• Proof of health insurance
• Proof of travel insurance
• A cover letter. It must include your reason for visiting Austria
• Police verification certificate.
• National ID
Austria student visa financial requirements
In the list of Austria student visa requirements, the financial proof is also included. You have to prove that you have sufficient funds to finance your stay in Austria:
|• Students up to 24 years of age have to show proof of at least 515,30 Euros per month.
• Students, more than 24 years of age, have to show proof of at least 933,06 Euros per month.
These amounts should be proved for a maximum of 1 year. You can prove it in the following ways:
|• Statement of your savings account or a bank account (the account which can be accessed from Austria)
• a Declaration letter from the Guarantor living in Austria
• proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques for the required amount
• Document of education loan ( if any)
• or a confirmation of receiving a scholarship or grant.
If the accommodation cost in Austria is more than 294,65 euros per month, you will have to prove additional funds.
Austrian Student Visa processing time
To get an interview appointment at an Austrian embassy, you can expect around 6 weeks of waiting time. However, it depends on the demand for appointments. After the interview, it can then take a few more weeks for the visa application process. In short, the whole process of obtaining an Austrian student visa can take 3-5 months.
What to do if your Austrian visa is rejected?
If your Austrian visa application is rejected, you can appeal to the Austrian embassy within 4 weeks. In your letter of appeal, you should state the reason for the rejection of the initial application and also state why this decision was incorrect. It can take further time for you to receive a second decision. Please note that there is no guarantee that your appeal will be approved.
Can International student Work in Austria with a Student Visa?
Yes, International students can work in Austria with a Student Visa. Rules and requirements differ depending on the nationality of the student.
|• Students coming from the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Liechtenstein can work in Austria without getting a work permit. However, the university may prefer to work hours to be limited in favour of studying.
• International students coming from outside the EU and the above-mentioned countries will have to obtain a work permit along with their residence permit to work in Austria while studying. In most cases, the prospective recruiter will have to apply on their behalf. However, unpaid internships and placements do not require work permits.
International Students can work only up to 20 hours per week on a valid student visa. There is no limit to working hours during the academic break. However, unpaid internships and placements do not count towards the hours worked for students with work permits.